Business for YOU

New year, new beginnings
2011 was my first year of doing Hetterson full-time. It was a big step to quit my job, and the first year taught me a lot! It was a time of many ups and downs. I spent the last couple months of 2011 taking a good hard look at how the year really went. I weighed the good + the bad and figured out the things that wore me down most:
1. Seasonal = disposable. I dislike the idea of seasonal collections, even though I try to make my pieces transitional/long-lasting. Naming something "fw" or "ss" makes it seem short lived and disposable.
2. The ever hungry internet. After launching a collection I see it circulate (blogs, twitter, tumblr) for a month or so....then everyone is blowing up my inbox asking "what's next". Like an ever hungry monster the internet has taught the consumer to ALWAYS be looking for next thing/best deal. As a designer this is super frustrating. I put so much work into my pieces, it would be nice to keep making them for a while without pressure to always create something new. This is responsible for a lot of my burn outs. Still haven't figured out a way to beat it....

3. Growth Generally, to be successful, a business has to expand. I could bring in help or outsource, but I don't ever see myself doing that. Why? Because I enjoy making all the clothes in my line, and I'd miss the connection between maker and customer!

4. Copying and not crediting. Images get "borrowed" from a blog, the person doesn't credit them and other people keep
sharing them. There are way too many platforms for image sharing and as a result the internet
has become over saturated with uncredited images. It's so easy now for someone to copy an original design (be it a big company or a small one) if they see an image of a garment somewhere
with no credit. This has happened to me, and it sucks.

5. Making the kind of collections/clothes I want to. I have come to terms with the fact that my favorite pieces (time consuming, lots of detail, more $$),
are rarely the biggest sellers. I usually make 1-2 of these garments per season. ANY designer will
tell you that a collection needs to be well rounded with a variety garments at a range of price points
to be successful. That's the bottom line. Instead of making a couple of my favorite pieces each
season mixed with a bunch of pieces (that sell in the blink of an eye) I'm less than stoked to be
making, I'd prefer to make smaller collections with my favorite/most awesome pieces.


Thinking about all of the above made me realize how BURNT OUT I am. I needed to take a break and step back from Hetterson stuff. As of now the SS collection is cancelled. I'm pondering all things Hetterson....and IF I decide to proceed with designing clothing in my off time, some serious changes would need to be made. I moved this week to an apartment closer to Portland, and will be starting at my new job (!!!!!) Monday. I think taking the financial pressure off my creativity is going to make me so much happier/more chill! Don't worry, I'll be back in this space soon sharing apartment-y stuff and whatnot!

PS. I have no internet at my apartment yet. Responses to emails/comments will be few and far between (free wifi spots...ugh) until I get that sorted!