Business for YOU

Making my shoes
The boots used in the Hetterson collection No.1 photoshoot were made by either me or SJD (check out my instagram for more of his work). I sort of fail whaled when it came to taking photos of my boots during the process, HOWEVER I did take a boatload of SJD's boot from patterning to lasting and finishing! This week I'll be posting about each of the boots we made! Let's start with mine:Prototype boot post-lasting ~ it's always important to test new patterns
When I took a break from Hetterson (almost two years ago- holy &*%$!) I decided to focus on developing some of my other interests, mainly shoemaking! Through trial and error and chatting up lots of folks I finally learned the whole process of making a footwear. I find learning new processes fascinating! Wether it's silkscreening, patternmaking, embroidery or shoemaking...I love to learn new things. Shoemaking is not nearly as challenging as I thought it would be, and taking my time learning it was one of the most enjoyable things I could have spent my break doing! I came back from my time off feeling super inspired to create Hetterson collection No. 1 . I'm sticking to clothing and accessories for my numbered collections and while I don't currently see a shoe line in my future...who knows.... Lasted boots (see the nails on the bottom of the toe). These sat in their lasts for about a week.
I wanted a pair of simple veg-tanned boots with contrasting hand stitching details and a rubber crepe sole. I love embroidery and these boots were the perfect canvas for simple stitch work. I used a heavy waxed cord to stitch the vamps, and the back seam. It was smooth sailing from there! Going from patterning to finishing...these boots took me about a day to complete (when you ignore that they have to stay in the lasts for a few days). still lastingvamp detailThe finished product — I tried to distress these as much as I could pre-photoshoot. I love a worn in boot!
The finished boots fit me perfectly and I love how cute and comfortable they are. I have so many ideas rolling around my head for more shoes. Hopefully next time I'll be able to get more photos!